Sixties Music Secrets

Let’s talk about ’60’s music

Written on May 8, 2016   By   in A Quick One...

I’m Rick Shoemaker. Growing up and making a life on the West coast of Southern California, I have worked as a Singer/Songwriter, Session Player, Music Teacher, Disc Jockey and Music Business Executive. Most importantly I ” came of age ” in what is arguably the greatest decade of music in all of history. The 1960’s. If you share my passion and curiosity for this incredibly prolific and creative period in music history, please join in the conversation and share your ideas, experiences and questions. I guarantee you will hear some great Sixties Music Secrets !

21 comments on “Let’s talk about ’60’s music

1. R shoemaker says:

Some of my best memories are from the sixties.

1. Rick says:

Absolutely, Where were you the night The Beatles first appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show ?

1. tg taylor says:

@ Moms with a black and white tv

1. Rick says:

YES…The Ed Sullivan Show in Black and White. Many of us never saw The Beatles in color until their second feature film, Help !

2. Winnie Drew says:

Not even sure this is a sixties question: What is the deal with Nina Simone? A documentary, an upcoming movie. Most people think she’s amazing and would crucify me for this but I don’t get her appeal–AT ALL. What am I missing?

1. Rick says:

It is indeed a 60’s music question. Did you know that Nina recorded 40 albums between 1958 and 1974 ! Anyone care to comment on her greatness ?

1. Anonymous says:

pretty self-explanatory. No?

1. Rick says:

Wow…What a great clip of Nina ! Meanwhile check out her cover of The Bee Gees 60s Classic, ” To Love Somebody”…..simply “To Die For”
          Nina Rocks

3. tg taylor says:

Can you tell me the name of the first drummer for the Beatles?

1. Rick says:

Apparantly, no one thought he was the best. But…..his name was Pete Best !
      And, Here they are…John, Paul, George… And Peter http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/music_impact/2008/10/large_PeteBest2.bmp

4. Walley says:

What year did Jimmy Hendrix die.

1. Rick says:

We lost Jimi in 1970……The same year we lost Janis Joplin Sad way to begin a new decade.

1. Rick says:

However, today would be a great time to take a breath, kick back and enjoy Jimi performing “Foxey Lady” atThe Miami Pop Festival in 1968…….”FOXEY”

5. michael says:

What was the name of that great lead singer in The Dave Clark Five ?

1. Rick says:

That truly great singer from The Dave Clark Five was Mike Smith ,Mike was also the bands keyboard player and co-wrote all their hits with Dave Clark Unfortunately, we lost Mike in 2008

6. teddy says:

Hey Rick, got one for you. Can you tell me if chad and Jeremy were brother? and are they still around. I dig there sound

1. Rick says:

Chad and Jeremy were not brothers. They were from England and considered members of The British Invasion. Their full names were Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde.And YES, They are still around and play an occasional gig.They had Several hits in the U.S. In 1963-1965 including Yesterday’s Gone, Willow Weep For Me, and their biggest hit A Summer Song, written by Chad. A breath taking chart topper in 1964. Click Here and hear it……Beautiful !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvL2oLeBYs

7. Julie says:

The voices of Chad and Jeremy blended together so beautifully. We don’t hear that kind of sound anymore. The sixties were definitely an era that I will not forget. I loved being a part of it.

8. Brad says:

Happy Birthday to the hardest working man in show business…Mr. James Brown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9-HGHT1Pk

1. Rick says:

It’s so incredible when you see Him ( Thank you Brad) and the obvious influence he ‘s had on so many contemporary artists…Prince ?