Sixties Music Secrets

WELCOME TO SIXTIES MUSIC SECRETS

Written on July 30, 2017   By   in Uncategorized

Here’s your place for thoughts, questions commentary and trivia about music from the 1960s. Click around, enjoy a few memories, answer a few questions. But most of all, we encourage you to, not just respond to the many posts,  comments and pages that run across the top and you’ll see here on the site, but share your original and unique  memories questions and commentary. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page to the “Leave a reply” box” and  talk about anything you want!  We encourage you to not just “contribute,”  but “create” the conversation!…

And now., Sixties Music Secrets has linked up with Amazon! Whatever your needs just click on our link below and you’ll connect directly to Amazon for the best on line shopping experience imagineable…Plus, you’ll help SMS to continue to provide you with the unique content you come here for…

Rick Shoemaker

, , , , , , , , , , ,

8 comments on “WELCOME TO SIXTIES MUSIC SECRETS

1. Rick says:

A 60’s Secret/ Remember The Singing Nun and her 1963 hit ” Dominique” ? In a strange twist, she died in a suicide pact with her long time lesbian lover by deliberately overdosing on alcohol and barbiturates in 1985.
    And here she is…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO7cD6qmydo

2. Jimmy says:

COOL to share 60’s music memories, Thanks Rick. Just now listening to this little gem from Glen Campbell / Brian Wilson / Wrecking Crew. Enjoy “Guess I’m Dumb”

1. Rick says:

Hey Jimmy, thanx for that rare and great track from Glen and Brian. Did you know that Glen replaced Brian on their 1964-1965 tour playing bass and nailing Brian’s high vocal chops. You can also hear Glen playing guitar on most Beach Boys L.P.s including their iconic ” Pet Sounds “

3. Jimmy says:

Couldn’t resist posting this fantastic video of the GREAT Bobby Darin from one of the BEST bloggers out there…Sheila O’Malley. Enjoy:

1. Rick says:

Hey Jimmy ! ” The Great Bobby Darin ” indeed. No one could swing a Folk Song ” quite like Bobby. HELL, nobody could swing anything quite like Bobby. So much we could say about one of the top ten greatest talents of our generation, or anyone’s. However, did you know that in the early 60’s he formed a production company with Terry Melcher ( Doris Day’s son ) where he signed, among others, Wayne Newton. Bobby found and gave him the song Danke Schoen”…He also signed and mentored Roger McGuinn, before he formed The Byrds,having him play 12 string guitar on all his records and in his touring band. ” Diversity” was Bobbys middle name. On a personal note, I played drums for 40 years, but I can clearly remember the day back in the late 50’s when ” Beyond the Sea” came on my transistor and I heard that incredible drum fill toward the end of the song… BAM I was forever hooked on the drums Thanx to Bobby. Thank you Jimmy for tipping me to Sheila O’Malley’s blog, she appears to be a talented and creative lady. Now….Lets listen to Bobby swing Beyond the Sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bRAtV-jgoQ

1. Julie says:

One of my favorite songs was Beyond the Sea and you couldn’t beat Bobby Darin’s voice. One of a kind. Loved watching the video link.

1. Rick says:

Oh Julie you are so right. For me, one of Bobby’s strengths were his unique “ad liibs” Bobbys “yup, hup’s ” ho ho’s and yea yeah’s made every new record unique. For example, take a look at this rare clip of Bobby in London live on The BBC.
          Furthermore, no one can ” Gargle” like Bobby Darin. See what I mean here with “Clementine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIF6yruCAmM

2. Jimmy says:

God, I listen to Bobby’s masterful performance of this tune and am immediately on a cool, sandy beach along the shores of Old Cape Cod. Such a beautiful time in my life. Thanks for posting.

I was unaware of the Terry Melcher relationship, as well as his mentoring of Roger McGuinn. Bobby Darin was a TRUE ARTIST.

His Academy Award nominated performance in the 1963 film, “Captain Newman, MD” with Gregory Peck, Tony Curtis and Angie Dickinson is one of my all time favorites.